DIY | Fimo + Gold Foil Pendants

/

Black & Gold. The ultimate chic-modern color duo. I've always had something for gold jewelry, even when younger, when all my friends were wearing silver I liked gold best. I think it might match better with my skin tone or something. And black. Black in my absolute color. Well, it is no color technically. It is many colors. But you know what I mean. The cliche "black in the new black" was probably written for me and my wardrobe. So, when I had the urge to DIY a little again I thought "Uh I need a necklace to wear with ALL my clothes" ha! So it didn't need much more thought. 

But the truth is that even all the DIY blogs are full of gold foil projects (pillows, dishes, candles etc) I've never used it before. It was a bit trickier than I expected but yet really simple. It is a bit hard to avoid the little voids but the final result works for me great.  


If you want to make some too, you will need:
- polymer clay
- gold foil 
- polyform sculpey glaze 
- cord
- toothpicks

And for the Greek readers there is this Eberhard Faber kit that I used and includes everything you'll need.

How to:
First soften the clay in your hands and form small balls. If you are going for spherical beads make sure there are no wrinkles on the surface. If not you are set to go. Otherwise you need to work the clay balls a little more until softer and smooth. When they are ready, shape them as you wish and make holes using the toothpicks. Make sure the toothpick goes all the way, you want them to be big enough for your cord. 
Next step:foil! Well, now you'll need to activate your fine skills. If you are going for a messy result then you won't have a problem. Just add foil wherever you feel like and push it, lightly so you don't change the bead's shape, but hard enough so the foil looks smooth and sticks on the bead's surface. Note that the foil might want to stay on your fingers so be gentle :) 
Baking time!! Here you'll need to follow the instructions on your clay. Usually they need about 30' in a 110C oven. But check yours!
Let them cool and then varnish them with a fine coat of glaze. If you take a good look at my beaded necklace, the first two beads aren't varnished. I like to combine shiny with matte. 
Your choice though. 
To make it easier to varnish them without loosing any glaze, put the beads into a toothpick or bigger stick and let it on the trim of a glass. So the extra glaze will drop. 
Thread each bead and bring the ends of the cord together! Make a little knot and...TADA!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram