Healthy sugarless cake w/ bananas

/

For as long as I can remember this past few months I've been trying to lose a couple of extra kgs I gained a year or so ago. I have to admit that even though I love salads and veggies, my cravings for salt, sugar and fats are killing me every now and then. And the worst part is that some times I really mess up on my diet and then I feel guilty but I think that since I ruined it anyway a few chocolate bars more would make a lot of difference...so wrong!!right? 
Anyway, this last month I'm trying to be more efficient and refuse to consider my need of losing these couple of kgs so important. Therefore, I'm focusing on a healthy and nutrition diet.
In my attempt to satisfy my cravings I decided to give a try to a sugar-flour-butterless cake. Fortunately, it turned out really good...way better than I first thought it would! And I'm so happy..!
The initial idea comes from Hummingbird bakery's book, but I found this one first...and changed it a bit in order to make it "healthier" ;)

You'll need::
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped 
2 1/2 cups barley flour 
1 cup honey 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
3 large eggs, lightly beaten 
3/4 cup olive oil 
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3-4 medium sized bananas)


How to:: 
Preheat oven to 180C degrees and place the rack in the center of the oven. Prepare your baking pan. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool and then chop finely. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. In another large bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, honey and finely chopped pecans. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until combined. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.  Ta-Da!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram